Friday, May 6, 2011

Superpower Planted!

YES!  The engine is IN.  Everything went smoothly... almost.

After swapping the oil cooler lines from the 300GD onto my 300TD engine, discovering they don't fit, and swapping back again, I realized (thanks to Mike Serpe) that the oil cooler and upper cooler line still needed to be swapped.  It's a little tricky with these lines.  Whatever came on my 300TD engine seemed fine, but, apparently the TD upper oil cooler line can interfere with the power steering pump pulley nut.  On the 300GD the nut is avoided by routing the hard-line around it diagonally.  The oil cooler is also needed from the 300GD as it is 2-rows narrower than what came on the TD engine.  I suspect my 280GE oil cooler would have worked fine also.

The bracket that supports these lines is also important - the TD bracket ended up being a good fit for both lines going under the engine mount; the 300GD bracket is for one over and one under, which will not work.  I think the 300D engine has a shorter injection pump that allows more freedom for oil line routing.

Before dropping the engine in, I attached the belts, adjusted them, and prepared the intake hoses.  The heater return pipe that I fabricated needed an adjustment, but the rest was fine.

Double-triple check everything... okay, lower it in!  My cherry-picker is a light-duty fold-able unit from Harbor Freight.  It may be a cheap tool at $125 but I have to say that it worked beautifully.  I used a load leveler to do this, but it certainly was not necessary, and it's adjustment crank became blocked by the crane arm anyway.  If I were to do this again I'd just use a chain to hold the engine.

Dipping the transmission in a bit lower than the engine, the whole assembly went in easily and with plenty of room to spare.  I lowered the engine lightly onto the frame sockets and bolted the mounts and transmission up loosely.  Once secure, I lowered the hoist completely and tightened everything up.  It seemed like this should be a huge task but it went quickly and without trouble.  All was done within an hour.  What a relief!

Next I attached all of the intake ducts (3 blue silicone 90-degree fittings) and the crankcase breather & drain (Two 90-degree blue silicone fittings & my home-made oil separator/drain).

Next I have to figure out the wiring & sensors, and hook up the drive shafts!  I hope to get that done this weekend and start tearing up the turf  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment